Friday, August 1, 2008

Finally, a decent video arrives...

Embarassingly, I didn't realise Vampire Weekend were from New York until I brought their name up in a heated debate about who should be nominated for the Mercury Prize. Not my finest hour, I admit, but I put it down to the lyrics about campus universities and obscure rules of punctuation.

The band's brand of coffee house indie-african-pop is a beguiling one, no matter what their heritage, and their album has been slowly growing on me all summer. Now they're releasing Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa (the one that references Peter Gabriel and, coincidentally, one of my favourites) as a single.

The accompanying video is a cheeky little nod to John Hughes' 1980s teen romcoms. It is also the second video of the week to feature a monster transformation. What is going on with that?

Vampire Weekend - Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa


PS: Here's someone arguing that the band have a pseudo-Marxist agenda and hope to inspire people to rise up against the privileged upper classes. A likely story.

Labels: , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage