Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Elena Jane covers Elton John

Ellie Goulding has covered an Elton John song. Your Song, to be precise. And it's the soundtrack to John Lewis's Christmas advertising campaign.


Awwww, brings a tear to the eye, doesn't it?

Now, I'm not a marketing executive with a fancy degree but I'd say that the audience for Ellie Goulding and John Lewis cross over by 100%. That's 110% in X Factor money.

To prove it, I just wrote down five phrases off the top of my head to describe both institutions (it's a laugh a minute round here). Here's what I came up with:

JOHN ELLIE
Guaranteed qualityGuaranteed quality
A bit poshA bit posh
Reassuring presence on the high streetReassuring presence in the charts
Slightly stuffySlightly stuffy nose
Never knowingly undersoldHot in an older sister kind of way

See what I mean? I bet Ellie would even let you sleep at her house during a blizzard, like one branch of John Lewis did last year. You wouldn't get that sort of Christmas spirit from Eliza "Scrooge" Doolittle or Cheryl "lump of" Cole. Tinie Tempah might give you some eggnog, though.

Anyway, Ellie has done a proper video for her single. There's not much to it - just some faded Super 8 scenes of the Hereford singer and her mates mucking about near a waterfall - but it's quite sweet. Here you go:

Ellie Goulding - Your Song

Anyone who's heard the vastly superior acoustic version of Ellie's album track Wish I'd Stayed must be hoping that her second album takes the same path as the above Elton cover. I wouldn't object myself, to be quite honest.

Labels: , , , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage