Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Ingrid Michaelson takes Parachute back from Cheryl Cole

Earlier this year, New York musician Ingrid Michaelson reflected on the fact that Cheryl Cole had scored a top five hit with a song she wrote.

"I knew that song would be a smash," she told the BBC in April. "I just didn't think I could pull it off.

"I'm so happy that Ms Cole is having success with it."

Fast forward to December and Michaelson has had a change of heart and released her own version of Parachute. Keeping true to her indie roots, its a more idiosyncratic take than Cheryl's, crammed full of percussive backing vocals and flanged harmonium chords. The result is more upbeat than the version you're used to - but I kind of miss the military drumbeats and mopey vocals.

Ingrid Michaelson - Parachute

If you're a regular watcher of American Idol, you might also be familiar with Michaelson's signature song, The Way I Am. It was performed at several stages of last year's competition, despite being relatively unknown. I've championed it several times on the blog, and I'm certainly not going to pass up the opportunity to ebmed it again...

Ingrid Michaelson - The Way I Am

There's plenty more Ingrid info on her official website.

Labels: , , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage