Wednesday, October 17, 2012

A thing of beauty from Regina Spektor

I've been sitting here mesmerised by Regina Spektor's beautiful new video for the last half-an-hour.

It's a song I've talked about before - How, from her latest album, What We Saw From The Cheap Seats. Shorn of the "hiccup brrzzzt ping!!!" vocal gymnastics Regina's become (erroneously) known for, it's a simple, sad tale of heartbreak, and how difficult it can be get over an old flame.

Interestingly, the singer has always insisted her music isn't autobiographical. "I'm much more interested in things outside of myself rather than my actual self," she told Mother Jones earlier this year. "You know, confessional: 'This happened to me, and so I wrote this song.' That doesn't really happen, where I paint my own life in my songs."

Still, it's hard to escape the feeling that this particular song was inspired by some very real, very intimate sorrow. And it's all the more beautiful for it.

Regina Spektor - How

BONUS CONTENT: If that's all a bit glum for you, here's a picture of Regina on a trampoline.


Labels: , , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage