Tuesday, December 3, 2013

New Sam Smith: Money On My Mind

Silver-voiced songsmith Sam Smith has come a long way since he wrote his first song (a Christmas Carol) aged 10.

As covered ad nauseam already on these pages, he's been the voice of Disclosure's Latch and Naughty Boy's La La La. I was pleased to see him get a nod on the BBC's Sound Of 2014 longlist yesterday - although I can understand why people feel cheated, since he's already got two major chart hits under his belt.

After his first EP - which included the gorgeous ballad Nirvana and the scorching hot Safe With Me - Money On My Mind is set to be his proper, proper debut single in February next year. Produced by Two Inch Punch, the song is both a reaction to his success, and a statement of intent: "When I signed my deal, I felt pressure," he sings, but "I don't have money on my mind. I do it for the love".

Lofty ambitions - and as long as he doesn't make a habit out of those disturbingly squeaky "Mika moments" in the chorus, there's every possibility 2014 could be his year.

Labels: , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage