Friday, July 17, 2015

Calvin Harris is 'searching for a new sound'

Scottish giant / super-producer Calvin Harris underwhelemed with last year's Motion, an album that saw him tread EDM water with a bunch of identikit tracks that failed to match the peaks of We Found Love or Sweet Nothing or Bounce.

So it's good to hear him trying something different on his new single, How Deep Is Your Love, which premiered on Radio 1 this morning.

Featuring London trio Disciples (whose They Don't Know troubled the lower end of the TOp 40 in January) and vocals from Ina Wroldsen (who wrote almost all of The Saturday's hits), it's a blissed-out house track with a ribcage-rattling bassline.

Oh, and a vast improvement.

Calvin Harris - How Deep Is Your Love


Speaking to Nick Grimshaw this morning, Calvin confessed he'd been looking for a new sound.

"I've been trying to work out what to sound like. You know when you've done a certain amount of things and you're like, 'maybe the world doesn't want to hear another tune that sounds a bit like this other song, and this other song?'

So it's trying to find something new. Even if it's just a little thing. Just a new thing for people to latch onto and enjoy so it doesn't sound old. It's like a science experiment."


Grimmy also asked how many times a day Calvin was asked to collaborate with someone. Here's how he replied:

"Maybe per month there's three or four. People generally aren’t that persistent. And I don't like to lead people on.

Most people that get my phone number are really good [but] there's people that have approached me... and I've been like, 'I don’t think it's the right thing for you. It would make me look really good to work on a track with you. But as a fan of music, I don't want to lead you down this road and I don't think it’d be good for your career'.

I've done that a couple of times."


Sadly, he wouldn't confirm who these artists were. But I'm going to stick my neck out and say it was definitely Jake Bugg.

Labels: , , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage