Tuesday, February 2, 2016

New discovery: LeMarquis - Hurricane (ft Alo Lee)

French producer LeMarquis made his name with a series of official (and unofficial) remixes for the likes of Ashanti, Drake and Whitney Houston. My particular favourite is this frothy, disco-funk refix of Phoenix's Fences - which ends up sounding like a lost Daft Punk b-side.



That success of that track brought the 21-year-old to the attention of chic French dance label Kitsuné, who hired him to remix Years & Years's Real (for free, such is the way of the music business). It also turned out quite well.



LeMarquis (he doesn't give his real name) has now dropped out of a masters in Musicology to pursue music full time. Amidst DJing and remix work, he's been stockpiling original tunes, the latest latest of which - Hurricane - is a revelation. Here, the frothy beats have been poured down the sink and replaced by a sticky, murky liquor. British singer Alo Lee provides some suitably stormy vocals - "I never let them see me cry so I look stronger," she sings sotto voce, "you can find me standing in the rain".

"On this one, I tried something a bit slow and different from my usual stuff," says LeMarquis. "When I started to look for a singer Alo came straight in my mind, so I sent her the instrumental and when she came back i was blown away by her “dreamy r’n’b” voice which fits the beat perfectly and creates a great slow and chill atmosphere for the track."

Listen below.

Labels: , , , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage