Friday, January 27, 2017

Missy Elliot is Better than you. Simple as that.



"This video took a month," Missy Elliot told Fact Magazine. "We rehearsed a whole month and I’ve never done that in my whole career. We rehearsed from nine at night until six in the morning, most of the time. I wanted the dance movement to be challenging. I wanted it to look like art instead of just a video."

She got her wish. Every set-up of this video is inspired. Optical illusions, underwater dancing, choreography that doesn't seem humanly possible. If anyone doubted Missy's ability to innovate, they've just had a basket of eggs thrown in their face.

The song, I'm Better, is a trap-infused slow burner that, agonisingly, isn't a preamble to Missy's new album. Instead it heralds a documentary on her career (can't wait) while Missy continues work on the follow-up to 2005's The Cookbook. She tells Fact she's thrown away five or six albums of material since.

I don't know about you, but I'm off to hunt through her bins.

Labels: , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage