Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Video: Paramore - Told You So


Paramore's new album After Laughter - announced out of the blue a fortnight ago - is shaping up to be a cracker. Lead single Hard Times is the best pop song about utter misery since Dancing On My Own (the original, obvs), zigging and zagging all over the chart with its new wavey guitar riffs and staccato vocal chops.

The latest single, Told You So, picks up where that left off. OK, the chorus might not be as ridden with earworms but it's a solid B+.

It premiered earlier today on Beats 1, where lead singer Hayley Williams explained it had been a tricky song to write.

"That was one of the first pieces of music that Taylor [York - guitarist] sent me," she told Zane Lowe.

"I had a little thumb-drive, and I would just drive around listening to it, and especially back and forth from Taylor's house. And I would sing little rhythmic things to myself. They didn't make sense. There were no words. But this is one that really intimidated me because I was like, 'I have all these melody ideas because there's no so much melody going on and so much rhythm going on. It's so inspiring. But how am I going to fit what I feel into that?' It took a minute."

The video - which is a huge dollop of fun - was directed by drummer Zac Farro, basing it on the car journeys the band took to and from recording sessions last year.

"Zac noticed that my anxiety and overall state was just a lot more peaceful on those drives," Hayley Williams told The FADER, "and mentioned to me that it made him happy to see me rest for a moment. It means a lot that they conceptualised a video around a passing moment we had as friends."

Awwwww.

Labels: , , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage