Tuesday, June 20, 2017

There's an obvious but amazing cameo in Sza's new video

One of the standout tracks on Sza's luscious new album, CTRL, is called Drew Barrymore. The lyrics don't reference the erstwhile star of ET and The Wedding Singer - but SZA was apparently inspired by watching the actress's seemingly endless stream of 1990s romcoms.

"I just imagine this being the soundtrack to one of those movies," she told an audience in New York last year. "Cue Freddie Prinze, Jr."

But Drew Barrymore (the song) has none of the breezy effervescence of those films, focusing instead on self-doubt and insecurities.

"I get so lonely, I forget what I'm worth," sings SZA. "I'm so ashamed of myself think I need therapy".

Nonetheless, Drew Barrymore (not the song) gave it her seal of approval, calling SZA "awesome" and praising the song's "lack of perfection" - especially the mention of "mom jeans".

She liked it so much, in fact, that she cameos in the video - released today and embedded above. She crops up around the 2'18" point; but the whole thing is worth watching. It's beautifully shot by Dave Myers, who recently made the Humble video for SZA's labelmate Kendrick Lamar.

Labels: , , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage