Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Mercury Prize Shortlist

Here it is, hot off the presses:

  • Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not
  • Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan - Ballad Of The Broken Seas
  • Editors - The Back Room
  • Guillemots - Through The Windowpane
  • Richard Hawley - Coles Corner
  • Hot Chip - The Warning
  • Muse - Black Holes And Revelations
  • Zoe Rahman - Melting Pot
  • Lou Rhodes - Beloved One
  • Scritti Politti - White Bread, Black Beer
  • Sway - This Is My Demo
  • Thom Yorke - The Eraser


    Witty and erudite deconstruction of the nominees will follow in due course.

    Update One: Well, it's hardly inspiring, is it? I admit that I haven't heard the majority of these records. The ones I do know are generally over-rated turgid indie bollocks. Sway's biography is more interesting than his album is, Hot Chip are a personality void, and Editors are just The Auteurs without Luke Haine's magnificent irony.

    If I had to choose a favourite it'd be Arctic Monkeys - but how crushingly predictable is that? Very crushingly indeed.

    And what happened to the pop? Where are Goldfrapp? How has Lily Allen's eye make-up been overlooked? And what about McFly? (nb: joke)

    Update two: I've just heard Richard Hawley's album and it's lovely. Lots of steel guitar and American-style baladeering. It won't win, but I think I may end up buying it. Curse you, the Mercurys!

    Update three: Sorry for being neither witty nor erudite, but there wasn't much to go on, was there? Maybe next time...

    Labels:


  • << Home

    Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

    © 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage