Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Sugababes: A handy guide



Here is the official Sugababes' statement in full:

The current line-up of the Sugababes has disbanded.

Heidi Range and Amelle Berrabah will continue as the Sugababes and will be joined by new member Jade Ewen. They release their album ‘Sweet 7’ on November 23rd through Island Records.

Keisha Buchanan will continue to record for Island Records as a solo artist.


And here's Keisha's Twitter outpouring:

Dear Friends, I'm sad to say that I am no longer apart of the Sugababes. Although it was not my choice to leave, it's time to enter a new chapter in my life I've had a great time and have achieved more then I ever thought I would.

I would like to state that there were no arguments, bullying or anything of the sort that lead to this. I have nothing but positive things to say about the girls and I wish them the best of luck. Sometimes a break down in communication and lack of trust can result in many different things.

Remember my drunk pictures out with Amelle, supporting her on her success with Tinchy Stryder... Oh the shame... But what a fun night we had I would also like to point out that I have always supported the girls and they have also supported me.

Now I'm going to take some time to focus on me. I've been in this band for 11 years and I have achieved so much. Although im nervous... I'm still very excited on what lies ahead. :-) I have a great family and friends who are behind me 100% and at the age of 24, I'm now going out into this world on my own...

The feisty, funny, professional, fearless, motor mouth... lol I want to thank the Sugababes fans and my fans for all your support and all who have never judged me, but excepted me for who I am...

This is not the end... but the beginning!!!!


It is quite a sad thing that has happened, but in some ways a very positive one. Keisha has been the ringleader, spokesperson and general bossyboots of the Sugababes since 1998. If she can bring that focus and determination to a solo career, then pop is the winner.

What happens to the lets-not-call-them-the-Sugababes-any-more is anyone's guess. Amelle could believably take charge (and the suggestion that she forced out the band's founding member out indicates that she's got the big, brass balls of a showbiz survivor). If the last couple of months is anything to go by, she'll hitch a lift on the grimepop express with Tinchy and Taio, but whether that's a good long-term strategy is another matter.

What’s more interesting is the idea of the Sugababes as a brand. That's something Keisha always resisted - and something I suspect the girls' management were very keen to exploit. I wonder whether we'll see Sugababes lip gloss, fashion lines and low calorie sweetners by the end of the year? There's also a great line in cooking appliances to consider: The Heidi Range Oven; an Amelle Berrahbah-b-q; and a Jade Ewen Spoon (Wooden Spoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

And if it all falls apart like a leper in a car wash, at least we'll have songs like this to remember:

Sugababes - Caught In A Moment (live on TOTP)


Sugababes - Overload


Sugababes - About You Now

Labels: ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage