Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Izzy Wizzy let's get Lissie

According to Science*, a dinosaur evolved 150 million years ago with a shocking orange mohawk and four elaborate wings. It looked like La Roux's prehistoric ancestor.

The point, apparently, was to attract potential mates.



Now, if a freakish lizard with the brain the size of a pea understood how to stand out in a crowd during the Mesozoic era, you would think people working in PR in the 21st Century might also have cottoned on to the idea.

Not so. Take a look at this CD, which has been sitting on my "I'll get round to this eventually" pile for the last month.

A boring CD cover, yesterday


You might not be able to tell from my appalling photography but that's an entirely grey CD cover. The album title is in a slightly darker grey. The artist's name has been scribbled over the top with a Tip-Ex pen. It essentially says "you would be better off doing some laundry than listening to this drab old bollocks".

But I hate doing laundry, so I belatedly popped the CD into the stereo and, lawks-a-lordy, it is utterly gorgeous.

Lissie (for it is she) has a bag full of melodies, all swiped from the Stevie Nicks school of widescreen songsmithery. Songs like When I'm Alone, Cuckoo and In Sleep have choruses bigger than Yosemite National Park and are as sun-bleached as the roads you drive to get there.

The actual album cover captures the spirit of the music much, much better.

Catching A Tiger


All of the above is basically an excuse for me writing about Lissie approximately two months after everyone else. I judged a book by its cover, just like my dad told me not to.

Her current single is When I'm Alone, which is what Sheryl Crow would sound like if Sheryl Crow didn't take herself so goddamn seriously. The video is terrible, but watch out for that chorus because it will sweep you right off your feet.

Lissie - When I'm Alone


Here are a few things Lissie has said in interviews.

:: "I was Annie in the musical Annie." [Caught In The Crossfire]

:: "I've got some weird immunity to tequila." [Newsbeat]

:: "I like that Miley Cyrus song, Party in the U.S.A." [Spinner]

:: "It felt self-serving, to have a doctor show up in your hotel and take this big needle and inject you in the butt." [Aquarium Drunkard]

:: "I picked, like, 200 tangerines and gave them away." [BBC]

:: "Ellie Goulding got up and sang with me and that was cool. She is awesome. I think she's my new friend." [Kingston Guardian

As luck would have it, there is a video of that performance with Ellie Goulding on Youtube (Youtube). It is totally spellbinding.

Lissie and Ellie Goulding - Everywhere I Go


I think that's enough for now. But basically what I'm trying to say, in a nutshell, as succinctly as possible, in a sentence, is that LISSIE IS AMAZING.

* The journal, not the academic discipline

Labels: , , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage