Monday, July 12, 2010

Goulding standard

Starry-Eyed popster Ellie Goulding has just released the video for her heart-rending ballad, The Writer. It features a lighthouse.

Ellie Goulding - The Writer


One thing I've come to realise over the last six months is that Ms Goulding gives a good lyric. Phrases like "kiss me with lightning" and "I wish I could feel it all for you" breathe life into feelings we've all had, but couldn't necessarily express.

She is Ellie Goulding and so is sheThe Writer has a similarly universal sentiment, as Ellie explained to Sky Songs earlier this year. "It's about how you'd do anything and change absolutely everything about yourself if necessary, just to be noticed by this one person."

She must have developed a crush on the girl out of Lionel Richie's Hello video, because she sings: "Why don't you be the artist and make me out of clay?"

I'm not 100% sure what I think of the message here. I mean, we've all massaged the truth at some point to attract a partner: "You like Frappucinos? Oh My God, I love Frappucinos. We're so similar it's freaking me out! Do you want to have sex now?"

But offering to subjugate your entire personality to someone else's whim? Allowing them to dictate your words and your appearance? That's just inviting emotional abuse.

I'm probably taking this all far too seriously. It's just a song, after all. And it's not like Ellie was the first to have this idea.

Abba dealt with the thorny issue of unrequited love for a thoughtless artist back in 1976. And, quite frankly, their take on the matter was much more disturbing.

I can hear how you work, practicing hard
Playing night and day, woah-oh
And it sounds better now
Yes, you improve every time you play, woah-oh
But it's bad
You're so sad
And you're only smiling
When you play your violin

Dum-dum-diddle, to be your fiddle
To be so near you and not just hear you
Dum-dum-diddle, to be your fiddle
I think then maybe you'd see me, baby


The moral here, folks, is that you should avoid relationships with creative types, because they’re all in love with themselves more than they'll ever be in love with you.

And that is the truth.

Labels: , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage