Monday, November 8, 2010

I think I am going to fall in love with this record

Normally, I like to listen to a song a couple of times before I write about it. Something that sounds astonishing in an initial three-minute blast can become tedious, cliched and wretched after repeated exposure. I call this the "Wagner effect".

I'm putting that to one side for now because I don't think it would ever be possible to grow tired of the next song. The singer is Josephine by name, Mancunian by origin, and rootsy by nature. The closest comparisons I have to hand are Lauryn Hill and India Arie.

But that's just lazy pigeon-holing. Listen for yourself. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Josephine - A Freak A


Here's what Josephine has to say about the song, in a quote I have cut and pasted from a press release: "A Freak A is really one thing. It sums up, I guess how I've felt growing up and throughout-out my life. It sums up being from a different background to all your friends. It's also about feeling like a freak 'cause you're not really into the things everybody else is into. I suppose it's a bit angsty really. Feeling like an odd ball musically as well as you don't really fit into the usual boxes. A Freak A... can also mean AfricA."

I will be using the newly-coined expression "throughout-out" throughout-out the rest of the day.

Labels: , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage