Friday, September 9, 2011

Rey Of Light

I promised to post the new Lana Del Rey video as soon as someone at her record label hit the "publish" button on YouTube. So here it is... and it's called Blue Jeans.

Songs about unrequited love are a tricky prospect - it's easy for a line like "you fit me better than my favourite sweater" to come off as clingy and desperate. Lana Del Rey's tormented vocals sidestep that neatly. Even a hackneyed line like "I will love you til the end of time" drips with desire. That yearning Arizona accent helps (although I thought Lana was supposed to be a New Yorker?).

I particularly love how the video splices archive footage with the singer's performance... Not since Janet Jackson's Again has 2Pac been seen in the proximity of such a fragile song.

Hauntingly beautiful.

Lana Del Rey - Blue Jeans


Blue Jeans is a double A-Side with Video Games, which you can watch here. Both tracks are out on 9th October.

Labels: , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage