Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Godzilla Nelly Furtado strikes the Eastern seaboard

Yes, thanks to some particularly ropey green screen, Nelly Furtado is a giant monster woman, stalking through the skyscrapers of a thrumming metropolis. Don't be scared: She's just promoting her new single Big Hoops (Bigger The Better) and will retreat safely if you buy her single and feed her a cracker.

The more I listen to the song, the more I like it. The lyrics are particularly fun, as Nelly namechecks some of her favourite rap songs from her teenage years. I've copied out and annotated the first verse below, just in case you're as big a nerd as me.

Hey hey hey, what's the scenario [A Tribe Called Quest - Scenario]
The boy keeps passin' my by [Pharcyde - Passin' Me By]
I said no diggity, no doubt [Blackstreet - No Diggity]
I thought I told you I was fly [Sugar Ray - Fly]
Yeah he and all of his friends they
They got that hair like Hi-Five [A reference to R&B smoothies - Hi-Five]
I don't wanna talk about sex [Salt-N-Pepa - Let's Talk About Sex]
Wanna express myself tonight [Salt-N-Pepa - Expression]

I originally thought the last line was a Madonna reference, but Nelly set me straight when we spoke last week (you can read the interview here). Half a dozen more songs get a shout out in verse two, but I'll let you work them out for yourselves.

Nelly Furtado - Big Hoops (Bigger The Better)

Labels: , , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage