Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Beyonce's Grown Woman leaks


I could be bad if I want
I could do wrong if I want
I can live fast if I want
I can go slow all night long
I’m a grown woman
I can do whatever I want

Very good, Beyonce, but wouldn’t this song be more accurate if you sang “I’m a very rich woman, I can do whatever I want”? (Hint: Yes it would).

Pedantry aside, the full version of Grown Woman is much better than the 30-second clip featured in last month’s Pepsi advert suggested. Sassy, funky, and rammed full of widdly diddly wee-waow harmonies, it’s the comeback single we secretly thought would never happen.

Best of all is the extended coda (I sense Timbaland had something to do with this) where the robo-R&B groove suddenly shifts continents to Africa. There’s a cheery kalimba hook and a parpy brass band and a slinky Yoraba chant. It’s Justin Timberlake’s Don’t Hold The Wall, pt II. And it’s magnificent.

The song leaked last night on Soundcloud. If it hasn't been torn down by the lawyers, you can hear it below. [Update: it disappeared almost immediately. Try this Youtube link instead]



Otherwise, here's that advert again. Just imagine the bits I described being tacked on at the end.

Labels: , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage