Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Jenny Lewis gets the boys out

It's not often you play a song and think, "huh, I've never heard anyone sing about that before" but Jenny Lewis has just managed it.

One of the Guys, the first single from her new album The Voyager, talks about being childless at the age of 38, and the (often self-imposed) idea that not having a baby somehow makes you incomplete. "When I look at myself, all I can see/ I’m just another lady without a baby," she sings.

A bubbly melody and frothy video (co-tarring Kristen Stewart, Brie Larson, Tennessee Thomas and Anne Hathaway with a rat tail) stops it from being all doom and gloom...

Jenny Lewis - One of the Boys

Isn't Kristen Stewart great in that video? Everyone else is doing that awful "look at me, I'm an actor and I am acting like a rock singer" face. Stewart just grimaces, like a true axe hero.


So we can all agree the video's lots of fun. But Lewis's new album, produced by Ryan Adams, might not be quite so cheery.

"Making The Voyager got me through one of the most difficult periods of my life," she says in a press release. "After Rilo Kiley broke up and a few really intense personal things happened, I completely melted down. It nearly destroyed me. I had such severe insomnia that, at one point, I didn't sleep for five straight nights. Many of the songs on The Voyager came out of the need to occupy my mind in the moments when I just couldn't shut down."

Well, they say happiness is the death of creativity - so The Voyager could be one of the albums to look out for this winter.

Labels: , , , , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage