Thursday, November 5, 2015

Santigold's new single is a blast

Oh wow, it is good to have Santigold back. Can’t Get Enough Of Myself – her first single in three years – is an infectiously-catchy, tongue-in-cheek ode to... well, Santigold herself.

I’m pretty major and I’ll sing it out loud,” she sings. “Ain't a gambler but, honey, I'd put money on myself.”

The rolling, exuberant reggae groove was produced by Patrik Berger – previously responsible for Robyn’s Dancing On My Own, Lana Del Rey’s Off To The Races and Charli XCX’s Boom Clap – and is the first taster of Santigold’s third album, 99 cents.

She explained the concept as she premiered the song on Zane Lowe’s Beats 1 show.
“The record cover is a picture of me in a bag, shrink-wrapped, with a bunch of items – you know, random clutter from my life – and there’s a 99 cents sticker on it. Because everything is a product at this point, including people and relationships.

"Everything is about marketing. And everything is undervalued. So I thought 99 cents was a good price for me and my life and all my hard work.”
(Santigold admitted the retail price would probably be higher.)

Listen below.



Update: The Soundcloud stream sounds clearer (or is it just louder?) than the Apple Music one.

Labels: , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage