Thursday, March 24, 2016

New discovery: Open Mike Eagle - Check To Check

I've just stumbled across the latest single by Los Angeles rap alchemist Open Mike Eagle, and thought it was worth a mention (even though it came out over a month ago).

Check To Check is a whimsical, but pointed, diatribe about our (and Mike's) obsession with technology. “I won’t work without checking my phone first / Put it down for my son when I’m checking his homework,” he drawls sleepily over a dusty drumbeat. “I’m recording right now and I’m checking between takes / Every notification that my phone machine makes.”

It's been generating a few plays on Radio 1, where Huw Stephens is a fan, and you can download if for free on Bandcamp.



Check To Check is the first offering from Mike's new album, Hella Personal Music Festival, which is a collaborative project with British producer Paul White.

According a press release, the record was recorded in London and features guest appearances from Aesop Rock and Future Islands' Sam Herring's rapping alter ego, Hemlock Ernst.

Labels: , , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage