Friday, April 18, 2008

New Lily Allen songs

Remember Lily Allen? No, not the 'personality' from your telly or your tabloid newspaper - but that pouty London girl who made fantastic music with snarky lyrics?

Well, she's back! Lily has just put up two new tunes on her MySpace and they are (shock news alert) "quite good".

That's despite the fact one of them deals lyrically with the awful burden it is to be famous. Normally, I hate this moany self-pitying nonsense. From Madonna to Eminem, pop stars need slapped around the chops with a cold baked bean sandwich if they think we care about the pressures of fame - but Lily was never one to play the victim, and her song, I Don't Know, is satisfyingly acerbic. Here are a few tasters:

"I'll take my clothes off and it will be shameless,
'Cos everyone knows that's how you get famous"

"I am a weapon of massive consumption.
It's not my fault, it's how I'm programmed to function"

"I look at The Sun, I look in The Mirror
I'm on the right track, yeah, I'm on to a winner"


The other song, I Could Say, is a more conventional piano ballad which takes its cues from Lily's BFF, Kate Nash. Except, of course, it isn't bowel-emptyingly bad.

On her blog, the star notes the songs are "just at a demo stage so don't be too hard on them". She also promises new material as soon as it's recorded, and a new mixtape "soon".

It is nice to have you back, lady.

[here is Lily Allen's Myspace page]
[via Popjustice]

Labels: ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage