Thursday, June 26, 2008

Liveblogging the Wimbledon queue



09:15 Hello! I thought I'd try something a little different today, and update the blog as I queue to get into day 4 of the 2008 Lawn Tennis Championships at Wimbledon. I've arrived at the specially designated waiting area (a big field opposite the hallowed grass courts) and been handed a "queue card" by the boater-wearing, none-more-English stewards. Clearly, however, I didn't arrive early enough - my ticket number is 6002 :(
Current music: The Ting Tings - Shut Up And Let Me Go

09:45 There's a pitched battle going on between the two rival gangs of newspaper vendors prowling the queue. Currently trailing in second place is The Guardian (left wing, sneery attitude, free sun cream) which is selling roughly one copy for every three shifted by the Daily Mail (racist, homophobic, free binoculars). There is also one forlorn Daily Telegraph seller (free DVD???) but I think this may just be a practical joke.
Current music: Timbaland: Give It To Me

10:05 I'm passing the time by reading US music magazine Blender, in which Coldplay's new effort is dispatched with concise brilliance. "Coldplay making a record about not pleasing everyone," writes Jon Dolan, "is like James Brown making a record about not being so damn funky all the time."
Current music: Neil Young: Only Love Can Break Your Heart

Labels: ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage