Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Charli XCX: A cursory research special

Pop newcomer Charli XCX has made an eye-catching video for her totally excellent song You're The One. We don't know much about Charli XCX, so we typed her name into Google. Here is what Google knows.

  • Charli joined her first band in the school playground when she was seven, and wrote her first album aged 14.

  • The singer hails from Hertfordshire and is now a decrepit old woman, aged 19.

  • Her first gig was in a peanut factory.

  • Her real name is Charlotte Aitchison, but the meaning of her stage name is shrouded in mystery.

  • "Charli XCX sort of means everything," she told Idol magazine, unhelpfully. "It doesn't stand for any word per se. I tried to make it stand for 'Xrated Cunt Xrated' but the label wouldn’t let me."

  • She has been recording with Patrik Berger, who produced Lana Del Rey’s Off To The Races and Robyn’s Dancing On My Own. Which officially makes him a god.

  • "Dark pop is the best way to describe my music, probably," she says. Have confidence in your opinions, Charli, even if they are wrong opinions.

  • She "wishes she could rap" but ends up sounding more like a lady Neil Tenant. A Tenant Lady, if you like.

  • "I think I'm at my strongest when I'm writing about super, crazy love or depressed and how I got fucked over by love," she sensationally revealed to Interview Magazine.

  • One interviewer asked Charli how she gets ready for a gig. She replied: "Sometimes, I'll do a warm up, like some star jumps and shit, but usually I just go for it." We can confirm the importance of clearing your poo passage before a pop performance. Handy hint: A cup of coffee helps relax the muscles.

  • Charli toured the US earlier this year in a Scooby Doo van

  • Geri Halliwell (yes, this Geri Halliwell) once asked Charli what was more important: Making money or being cool. Charli said "I like both." Correct answer.

Thanks, Google.


Charli XCX - You're The One

You're The One is out in the US now and the UK on 19 August. Which seems like an awfully long time away.

Labels: , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage