Monday, December 16, 2013

Nina Nesbitt and the art of the self portrait

As Lily Allen knows only too well, it's very hard to write a pop song about a cultural phenomenon and not sound like a disinterested media studies student who's cribbed some "really deep opinions" from their dad's copy of G2.

So congratulations to Nina Nesbitt, who's taken on the cultural phenomenon of selfies and come out of it unscathed. She manages to be self-deprecating and witty - making some penetrating observations on instagram's "look-at-me-I'm-so-lonely" behaviour without being preachy and pompous.

"I'll post it up in black and white
with a depressing quote on my life
so you can feel my pain
"

But, look, what really matters is that Selfies is a great little pop song. The production is much more strident and confident than anything on Nina's early EPs; and the lolloping beat reminds me equally of Roar and So You Want To Be A Boxer. How can that be a bad thing?

Nina Nesbitt - Selfies

Selfies is taken from Nina's debut album, Peroxide, which is out next year



Labels: , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage