Thursday, July 6, 2017

Wolf Alice get gorgeous on Don't Delete The Kisses

After the incendiary, in-your-face comeback single Yuk Foo, Wolf Alice have spun on their heels and released a shimmering indie-pop song that's quite possibly their best single yet.

Don't Delete The Kisses is "the most synth-heavy tune we've made", the band told Beats 1 - and, sure enough, it sounds like it's been beamed in from the soundtrack to a lost John Hughes movie. Or, more accurately, a John Hughes script shot by Nicholas Winding Refn.

In the spoken-word verses, Ellie Rowsell plays a girl who can't strike up the courage to approach the object of her affections.

I'd like to get to know you
I'd like to take you out
We'd go to the Hail Mary
And afterwards make out
Instead I'm typing you a message
That I know I'll never send
Rewriting old excuses
Delete the kisses at the end

The chorus lets out all that frustrated energy with a cathartic cry of, "Me and you were meant to be in love!"

"I kind of wanted to make one of those head out the window on a long drive tunes," Ellie told Beats 1. "And I wanted to try my hand at like a hold-nothing-back love song. Those were my thoughts. But other than that I just kinda let it go where it wanted to go... I just think if you hold back it will sound worse won't it?"

It's really rather brilliant.


Don't Delete The Kisses comes from Wolf Alice's second album, Visions Of A Life, which is out in September.

The band revealed the (unbelievably creepy) artwork on Twitter last night as they set off on a month-long US tour.

Labels: , , ,


<< Home

Newer Posts ::: Older Posts

© 2014 Discopop Directory | Contact editor@discopop.co.uk | Go to the homepage